Welcome to AskALLi, the self-publishing advice podcast from the Alliance of Independent Authors. This week it's our monthly beginners' self-publishing salon with advice, tips, and tools for indie authors just starting out.
Topics discussed this week include:
- Introducing new co-host Tim Lewis, author of six books and the Begin Self-Publishing Podcast
- Do you need an editor at all? (Yes. 99.5 percent of all writers do!) Everybody makes mistakes
- There are different levels of editing, from developmental editing to copy editing and proofreading.
- Should you go through all the phases of editing? Each has its own purpose.
- Do beta readers cut down on editing costs?
- Most 1-Star Amazon reviews are due to typos and grammatical mistakes.
- If you don't have the money for an editor, try bartering.
- Does the author have to accept all editors' changes?
- What editing services are available?
- A checklist of things to look for in an editor.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our Self-publishing Author Advice Center: https://selfpublishingadvice.org, with a huge archive of nearly 2,000 blog posts, and a handy search box to find key info on the topic you need.
And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at http://allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish!
Listen to the AskALLi Beginners' Self-Publishing Salon
Subscribe to our Ask ALLi podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Player.FM, Overcast, Pocket Casts, or via our RSS feed:
Watch the AskALLi Beginners' Self-Publishing Salon
About the Hosts
Jyotsna Ramachandran is the founder of Happy Self Publishing and author of the international bestseller Job Escape Plan.
Tim Lewis is the author of three time-travel novellas in the Timeshock series and three fantasy novels in the Magpies and Magic series under his full name of Timothy Michael Lewis. He is the host of the Begin Self-Publishing Podcast and is currently working on the book Social Media Networking- a guide to using social media to find your dream job, find love and boost your travel experience.