In this month's Advanced Self-Publishing Salon from the Alliance of Independent Authors, Orna Ross and Joanna Penn talk about the creative and business mind-set.
Topics discussed this week include:
- An update on Orna Ross's Go Creative! book series about how creative people apply the creative process to business – to be launched at the London Book Fair.
- A preview of the London Book Fair and all of ALLi's activities there, including seminars, book launches, and consultations.
- News of ALLi's online event to be held in conjunction with the London Book Fair and launch of a new self-publishing advice quarterly.
- News update on Facebook and other big data changes. It's important for authors to understand the value of their data.
- SelfPub3 is all about direct selling from author to reader.
- Security settings on Facebook and look at what data they have on you.
- The rise of audiobooks.
- How to merge the creative and business mind-set – the world is changing, and so must the way you think.
- What an incredible time this is to be an author – you can earn a living from books, but to do that, you're going to have to apply your creative skills to business.
- How and why to set aside a time to put on your “creative hat.”
- How to get what you want out of social media like Facebook: “good stuff in, good stuff out”.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our Self-publishing Author Advice Center: https://selfpublishingadvice.org, with a huge archive of nearly 2,000 blog posts, and a handy search box to find key info on the topic you need.
And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at http://allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish!
Listen to the AskALLi Advanced Publishing Salon
Subscribe to our Ask ALLi podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Player.FM, Overcast, Pocket Casts, or via our RSS feed:
Watch the AskALLi Advanced Publishing Salon
About the Podcast Hosts
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, as well as writing non-fiction for authors. She is also a professional speaker and entrepreneur, voted as one of The Guardian UK Top 100 creative professionals 2013. She spent 13 years as a business IT consultant in large corporations across the globe before becoming a full-time author-entrepreneur in September 2011. For more information about Joanna, visit her website: http://thecreativepenn.com
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”. She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing. For more information about Orna, visit her website: http://www.ornaross.comCalling #selfpublishing and indie #authors - have you got the balance right between creative and business thinking? Find out with #ALLi's latest podcast - with @OrnaRoss & @thecreativepenn Click To Tweet