During this month's ALLi Insights, Orna Ross unraveled the confusion around #VATMOSS with essential insights from Henry Hyde and Juliet McKenna.
You'd be forgiven for thinking this EU VAT discussion is a dry topic and one that couldn't hold your attention for very long. But this trio did an amazing job of disproving my assumption.
I was gripped (yes I truly was) through the entire online event. Not only was the EU VAT topic presented in an engaging and entertaining way – but if you're an author-publisher selling your digital products across EU borders you need to know how this topic affects you.
New EU guidelines, which came into effect in January 2015, switch VAT obligations from where the supplier is based to where the purchaser is located.
As well as providing an overview of the EU legislation, Henry and Juliet offered solutions for indie authors and author-publishers and gave a clear summary of how we need to get involved.
ALLi Insights You Tube Video
ALLi Insights SoundCloud Podcast
Fact Sheet by Henry Hyde
What can YOU do?
If you would like to help make a difference in this situation, there are a number of things you can do.
- Read the EU VAT action Website
- Sign the petition at Change.org
- Write to your local MP and regional MEP
- Write to the European Commission
- Hassle your payment provider and bank — high street banks need to know that thousands of their customers will be affected
- Join in the discussions at the EU VAT Action Facebook Group
- Join in the Twitter discussions using the #EUVAT and #VATMOSS hashtags
- Write, email or call your local newspapers and radio stations pointing out how local micro-businesses are threatened by this.