As Commissioning Editor of this blog, I’m always looking for new ideas to feature, and one jumped out at me at the recent annual Dublin Writers’ Conference. The conference included a joint talk on the topic of how to self-publish successfully by a trio of ALLi author members, Ben Galley, Jessica Bell and me. It was chaired by ALLi Partner member Laurence O’Bryan, director of the conference and of book marketing service BooksGoSocial.
We began the talk with a brief introduction explaining how each of the four of us had become a self-published author, and three things struck me:
- we had all come from different directions and career paths before alighting upon self-publishing
- our arrival had been fortuitous, each of us using words such as “stumbled upon” or “fell into”
- our careers going forward, all as indie authors, are also likely to be very different, writing in different genres
How interesting, I thought, to stop the talk now, and just ask Ben, Jessica and Laurence in more detail about their self-publishing journeys!
But of course the show had to go on…
These questions that I’d like to have asked them will now form the basis for a new occasional series on the ALLi Author Advice Centre blog entitled “My Self-publishing Journey”:
- Where did you first learn about self-publishing?
- What was your first self-published book, and when and how did you publish it?
- Name three things you know now about self-publishing that you wish you’d known then
- What has been your biggest surprise as a self-published author?
- What is your proudest achievement as an indie author?
- How do you describe yourself and your books – self-published, indie, or something else?
- What are your future ambitions as an author?
- How different do you think the self-publishing landscape will be in five years’ time?
This series will demonstrate the diversity, the drive, the ambition and the talent within the self-publishing community, and I’m planning to feature a diverse range of authors across many genres and from around the world. I’m interested in hearing from any authors who have an interesting story to tell about their own self-publishing journey, regardless of where they are in their career. This will be in addition to our long-running “How I Do It” feature from super-successful indies already at the top of their game.
If you’d like to feature in the Self-publishing Journey strand, please leave a comment below, with a one-sentence summary of your self-publishing career. Even if you’re not chosen for an interview, I’m sure our readers will enjoy your comments, and I’m looking forward to reading them.
Please note: Our policy for guests on this blog is that only ALLi members may be featured – just one of many benefits of membership. To find out more about all advantages of of belonging to ALLi, click here.