What is Wattpad?
Wattpad is a place to discover and share stories: a social platform that connects people through words. It is a community that spans borders, interests, languages. With Wattpad, anyone can read or write on any device: phone, tablet, or computer. via Wattpad About Page
Wattpad Insights for Indie Authors
This month's ALLi Insights event was full of information and inspiration about why and how you can leverage your existing content to reach a broader audience.
Here's 10 Wattpad Insights to whet your appetite:
- Wattpad users are very mobile savvy and skew towards a younger demographic.
- Authors don't have to write serially, they just need to publish serially.
- The Wattpad mobile app for free, and a Wattpad account is also free.
- Set a consistent publishing schedule for your chapter releases.
- If you already have a free book, it makes sense to leverage it on Wattpad. Use it as a funnel to your other books.
- At the end of each Wattpad chapter you can add an author call to action (e.g. sign up to the author's mailing list, or letting your readers know where to buy the book if they can't wait for the next installment).
- A demographics tab gives you insights into the age demographics of your readers and their geographic location.
- Authors can add images or a video to each chapter to increase engagement.
- It'll take about 4-6 chapters to get some audience traction.
- Wattpad increases your opportunity of reaching your share of the 40 Million global readers.
Listen to or watch the entire ALLi Insights event to put these informational nuggets into context, and pick up more book marketing ideas from Elizabeth about how to reach more readers using Wattpad.
ALLi Insights YouTube Video
ALLi Insights SoundCloud Podcast
Elizabeth Spann Craig Bio
Elizabeth Spann Craig is a Mystery Writer who writes the Memphis Barbeque series for Penguin/Berkley (as Riley Adams), the Southern Quilting mysteries for Penguin/NAL, and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink independently. She blogs at ElizabethSpannCraig.com/blog.
She curates links on Twitter as @elizabethscraig that are later shared in the free search engine Writers Knowledge Base (which is a search engine for writers). Elizabeth makes her home in North Carolina with her husband and two teenage children.
Orna Ross Bio
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”.
She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing.
Connect with Orna on Twitter @
Catch up on Past Events
If you missed our any of our past events you can watch the video or listen to the audio in the Round-up articles on this blog:
- Watch all ALLi Insights and Ask ALLi events on our YouTube Channel
- Listed to all ALLi Insights and Ask ALLi events on our SoundCloud Stream
Interested in Joining ALLi? Besides being able to submit questions to this monthly Q&A, there are lots of other benefits to being an ALLi Member. Click this banner, to find out more.