Guest Post Submission Guidelines
Contributing a guest post to ALLi’s Self-Publishing Advice Centre is a great way to raise your profile as an indie author before a global audience of writers and readers.
Each post receives substantial hits on publication and continues to do so long after, thanks to the high SEO ranking of the ALLi blog (2000+ posts and rising every day). Readers are also driven to the post by multiple social media shares by ALLi members. If you contribute a post, please share it via your own network.
- Only ALLi members are eligible to write guest posts. We welcome posts from all categories of ALLi member: author, associate, partner and professional. If you’re not yet a member of ALLi, now’s a great time to join! Visit our membership website to apply: www.allianceindependentauthors.org.
- We prefer posts that draw on personal details and experience. Our community is renowned for its collaborative spirit and the best blog posts reflect that. Personal opinions are welcome. We have a slot each Monday for Opinion pieces, which often give rise to stimulating debate.
- Posts must be original i.e. written especially for the ALLi blog, and must not have appeared previously elsewhere.
- Your byline will be included, together with a brief bio with one link to your author website or other appropriate URL.
- Guest posts are voluntary – as a non-profit organisation aiming to keep our membership costs as low as possible, we do not offer an editorial fee.
- You may repost your copy elsewhere one week after we’ve published it, provided you include a link back to our original posting.
How To Submit Your Guest Post Idea
Boni Wagner-Stafford, ALLi’s Communications Manager, is the first point of contact for any communication to do with guest posts. Her ALLi email address is boni[at]allianceindependentauthors.org.
Before you write your post, please email Boni with a brief outline of your idea and why you would like to write it. She will reply to advise you on its suitability. If your initial idea isn’t quite right, she will normally suggest some amendments that will make it suitable.
Boni aims to reply within three working days of an approach but may take longer, especially at busy periods. If you haven’t heard from her a week on, please feel free to contact her again, in case your email has been trapped by a spam filter along the way.
How To Submit Your Post Copy
Once your idea is accepted, please:
- Write a post of no more than 1,000 words. (They can also be shorter, if you can tell your story more effectively in fewer words.) If you find it difficult to stick to that maximum length, please contact Boni to discuss. Otherwise longer posts may be returned to the author for further editing.
- Email your completed post to Boni as an attachment, ideally at a Word document or plain text. She will format and sub-edit it to match our house style.
- Please email as separate attachments 3-4 images in jpg format to be used as illustrations. If any of your own books are relevant to the post, this should include a cover image for the appropriate book. If you are unable to provide illustrations, Boni will use stock photos.
Suggesting a Topic
If you don’t want to write a post but would like to suggest a topic, please message Boni. We’re constantly looking for new ideas to meet our readers’ needs and interests. Questions are welcome, as well as answers!
Many thanks for your interest, and please keep your great ideas coming.