I know many author-publishers who are working hard but, from a profit perspective, standing still, or barely inching forward.
They don’t pay themselves a salary, they don’t have enough money for their tax bill, they are disconnected from how much time it takes them to write and publish a new book, or how to reap rewards from what they do.
They are constantly stressed, perhaps depressed, perhaps even despairing.
Creative business planning breaks this cycle. As an indie author, you need more than a to-do list to support your work. You are not just a writer. You are also a manager, creative director of a publishing business. Which means you must also be a marketeer–responsible for marketing and book sales.
You need a creative business planning method that takes account of the three aspects of your job.
But a creative business is not just business as usual. So much business advice is mechanical and one-dimensional and purely profit-driven. Your business is driven by your passion as an author, your sense of mission and purpose, as much as your need to earn. You are motivated by money and meaning.
And any creative business plan must account for creative rest and creative play as well as work. For a creative rest and play are not breaks from the process, they are the process. They don’t take time, they make time.
It must also be flexible enough to allow for intuition, spontaneous insights, inspired deviations, and taking the road less traveled.
Creative Business Planning for Authors: Monthly Membership
I run a creative business planning membership, with workshops, personal attention and key resources, through Patreon. Places are limited in this premium-level facility which offers you dedicated attention for a tiny fraction of consultancy costs. (Due to my work for ALLi, I no longer do one-to-one mentoring or consultancy).
The workshops run on zoom but these are not large-scale webinars. Places are limited so personal attention is assured.In addition to the workshop, each month’s membership also provides downloadable resources and planners and a Facebook group for accountability and support.
Sign up to this monthly membership on my Patreon page — you can unsubscribe after a single workshop or any time you want (no yearly contract)
As a Creative Business Planning Member you’ll receive a variety of resources that will enable you to plan a creative author-business that is uniquely yours.
- Monthly Planning Workshop: Last Friday of each month at 5pm UK time. This is not a large webinar of thousands but a small-group, private workshop on Zoom, where you can ask questions and receive direct advice.
- Personal attention including feedback on your current project.
- All questions answered. Nobody left behind policy!
- Replay videos so you can refer back any time
- Go Creative! in Business Worksheets: Downloadable printable PDFs of the worksheets used in each workshop.
- Monthly downloadable Planners – Downloadable printable PDF planners for the coming quarter, month, week and day
- Accountability group: A private Facebook group for weekly intention mapping and accomplishment logging.
- Named as a patron on my website (optional).
Find out more on my Patreon page. Be sure to click “See all 5 Levels” and scroll down past the poetry tiers to CREATIVE BUSINESS PLANNING MEMBERSHIP. (Direct purchase page is here)
Creative Business Planning for Authors: Quarterly Planner
I’m putting together the planners from our creative workshops into monthly and quarterly planning workbooks. You can pre-order the quarterly workbook here.