Following the success of the Amazon Academy in London and Manchester, the next event in the series is taking place at Edinburgh on Tuesday 23rd May.
The Amazon Academy will provide free advice and practical support to help aspiring authors from across Scotland, covering everything from publishing your work with Kindle Direct Publishing, Amazon’s independent publishing programme, to how to market your work.
The event is open to all and is being run in partnership with the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi), and the address in EH3 will be emailed to you as part of the registration process.
Aspiring and established authors will learn how to:
- Write a bestseller with tips from authors on developing a plot, characterisation and the best way to approach dialogue
- How to market your book with guidance from authors on how to use social media effectively, the importance of mailing lists and how to make the most of KDP Select
- The business of being an author with thoughts from experts on everything from how to get the balance right between writing and the rest, how to decide what to outsource and selling books internationally
You can view the full line up below:
- 9:00am: Registation and coffee
- 9:30 – 9:45: Take your seat in the Author Space
- 9:45 – 10:00: Welcome from Darren Hardy, Head of KDP in the UK
- 10:00 – 10:30: Making a Book
- 10:30 – 11:15: How to Write a Bestseller
- 11:15 – 11:30: BREAK
- 11:30 – 12:30: Marketing your Book
- 12:30 – 13:30: Lunch and networking
- 13:30 – 14:15: Making it Happen: The Business of Being an Author
- 14:15: Depart
Amazon will be photographing and filming this event for use in advertising and promotional materials. By attending, you consent to being featured in these materials.
Find out how to attend a free #AmazonAcademy event in Edinburgh @AmazonKDP #selfpub Click To Tweet
Amazon Academy Feedback
Here’s the feedback we received about our last Amazon Academy in Manchester:
Darren Hardy did a superb job of presenting information, interviewing the panel and enabling a charming, seamless flow throughout the whole day. Marie Nicholson
I thought it was a fantastic event and I really enjoyed it. I thought all the speakers, especially Paul, were great. With a room full of people at very different stages on their publishing journey, it is always tricky to pitch it right. Caimh McDonnell
An excellent event. Well organised – and I thank Amazon for their hospitality. Darren Hardy presented well on KDP, coordinated nicely the panel – and I found the discussions relevant and stimulating. Bill Douglas
Very enjoyable and enlightening day. Well run and presented by ‘real’ people as authors, not full of themselves and prepared to admit shortcomings and don’t knows instead of waffling. Especially pleased with KDP direct and hints on promotion. Bill Cameron
Each of the speakers were very inspiring. Particularly the clear messages from Tracy Bloom & Keith Houghton about ‘writing from the heart’ and not to a formula their message about having ‘self belief’ was particularly poignant for me. Graham Peebles
I attended the Academy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Darren Hardy was an excellent ‘chair’ to the panel, and asked helpful questions, keeping speakers inspired. Elisabeth Douglas
I found the whole day inspiring and positive. Hearing the authors discuss how they use KDP Select encouraged me to give it a go. CJ Harter
I wanted to say thank you very much for organising the Amazon Academy, it was really good … I think the only downside was it was so short 🙂 Jason Johns
All in all, I’m so glad I attended. I met a couple of very interesting and pleasant people as well. To be honest I came with some prejudiced feelings about Amazon, but I was very pleasantly surprised. One friend, when I told him about the event said, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch”. I can now tell him he was wrong. My thanks to everyone concerned – I was very impressed. Well done. Next time you’re coming to Manchester I hope to be there. Michael Hunt