Jane Friedman, former publisher of Writer’s Digest, current Online Media Professor at the University of Cincinnati and esteemed advisor to The Alliance of Independent Authors – is on the move.
Orna caught up with her as she prepares to leave Cincinnati, preparing to take up her new role as Online Editor for the illustrious Virginia Quarterly Review
In this interview, Jane talks about the reasons for her move, changes in publishing and self-publishing and what it means for authors — and passes on her top tip (Hint: it’s to do with your blog).
The interview with Jane Friedman also covered:
- Marrying business side and artistic side of writing
- The creative and artistic potential of self-publishing today
- The dangers of “Irrational exuberance”
- How to be a more empowered writer
- The need for self-publishers, and indeed all writers now, to develop their entrepreneurial skills
- That the major challenge for publishing houses now is to see authors as equals.